The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Rear brake linings

• 20 Oct 2024 3:36 PM
    Message # 13421194

Hello Team, I would like to ask for your support. I have a drum brake wall thickness 7mm and linings 6mm and now rear brake is impossible to assemble. Everything is too tight. I would like to fit these parts but I do not know what are factory values to have this brake properly adjusted. In R&O there is a drawing with 6mm wall thickness but no info regarding linings. Could anyone confirm it? Thanks in advance. Maciek

3 files
  • 22 Oct 2024 2:24 PM
    Reply # 13422102 on 13421194

Hello is anybody there?

• 23 Oct 2024 9:44 AM
    Reply # 13422459 on 13421194
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Maciek, will check thru some measurement later today and get back to you.Are you sure you have bands fully backed off with all the linkages adjusted correctly ? Are they original bands ?

• 23 Oct 2024 5:22 PM
    Reply # 13422717 on 13422459
    Tim Raindle wrote:

Hi Maciek, will check thru some measurement later today and get back to you.Are you sure you have bands fully backed off with all the linkages adjusted correctly ? Are they original bands ?

Hello Tim, thank you for your reply. I have this wheel on the table so why i do not look on linkage etc. Bands are original and adjusting bolt is fully losened.
  • 25 Oct 2024 4:39 PM
    Reply # 13423576 on 13421194
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Maciek, I have some original NOS Raybestos brake material here that I believe to be correct, and it measures 0.168" , which is about 4.27mm. Thinner than the 6mm you have, but is that enough to cause the issue ? I also have some 3/16" material that George used at one point, which is 4.78mm . Somewhere I have some of the nasty green fiberglass stuff that he also used, will check that if I can find it ,would still double check the linkage when the brake arm is pushed as far back as it can go. If I recall correctly, some of the earlier brake bands have less adjustment than the 101 ones, slightly different brake plate and brake arm on 27 police special 45 and 28 short frame ???? Will rummage thru parts boxes and see if I can find a better answer.

Always good to be corrected, anyone else got any thoughts? 

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.