The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Transmission

• 19 Jun 2024 7:12 PM
    Message # 13372274

Can anyone tell me how to distinguish a 101 transmission from earlier and later ones? If a bunch of transmission cases and towers were laid out on a table what are some telltale signs that say it belongs to a 101?

• 25 Jun 2024 9:17 PM
    Reply # 13374554 on 13372274

Jordan, great question!  I don't have the answer, all I know is that my two Indian gearboxes, a '46 Chief and a '29 Scout, are close (or even the same) inside...without doing any measuring.  And outside, again without doing any measuring, appear to possibly be interchangeable (barring the difference in drives..chain versus gear).

I'm going to get out my copy of Jerry Hatfield's guide and see what he says on the matter!

• 26 Jun 2024 12:57 AM
    Reply # 13374589 on 13374554
    Harry Roberts wrote:

Jordan, great question!  I don't have the answer, all I know is that my two Indian gearboxes, a '46 Chief and a '29 Scout, are close (or even the same) inside...without doing any measuring.  And outside, again without doing any measuring, appear to possibly be interchangeable (barring the difference in drives..chain versus gear).

I'm going to get out my copy of Jerry Hatfield's guide and see what he says on the matter!

Many differences    Scout trans is smaller    gears are different ratio not interchangeable .  The 101  has  an indent  at the clutch side at   around 7  oclock    as does Primary cover to clear the brake  cross over  

thats just  a few   things  regards Phil

• 02 Jul 2024 9:14 AM
    Reply # 13377266 on 13372274
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Jordan, sorry not to reply earlier, having difficulty accessing website.

The scout and chief boxes are not interchangeable, full stop.

The earlier scout trans and the 101 trans will both fit on the motor, the mounting ears are the same size, but the primary cases are different due to the larger clutch, and so the 45 and 101 trans cases from mid 1927 have a larger circle where the primary case mounts.

If you can bear with me, I will try and post some pictures and dimensions later today which will make it a lot clearer.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.